Church of the Holy Great Prince Vladimir, Equal of the Apostles, was built at the expense of the Irkutsk merchant of the 1st guild Vasily Andreevich Litvintsev. The area where the construction of the temple was supposed to be located was far away from the city, on the outskirts of the Remeslennaya settlement, in the area that was called among people as “Kashtak”.
Endorsing desire V. A. Litvintseva, on June 3, 1886, Spiritual Consistory appealed to the town council asking for the allotment of land to him for the construction of the temple that he was going to build in honor of the 900th anniversary of baptism of Rus. The project was made by the Irkutsk architect V. A. Kudelsky in the Russian style according to the wishes of the client.
On April 16, 1887 at a meeting of the Duma it was decided to “give Litvintsev an area nearby the Kashtaksky spring in the size of 5727 square meters for building a Church”.
On January 21, 1888, the blessing of Archbishop Veniamin was received for the construction of the temple. On Kashtakskiy Creek Litvintsev built a brick factory specifically for this purpose.
On July 15, 1888, on the day of the solemn celebration of the 900th anniversary of Baptism of all Russia and on the day of the namesake of V. A. Litvintsev himself, the Church was solemnly founded by his Eminence Veniamin with the participation of his grace Makariy, who was then the vicar of the Irkutsk episcopate, in the presence of the Irkutsk Governor-General, Earl A. P. Ignatiev and many other people.
By July 1895, the temple was ready both inside and outside. On July 16, 1895 Archbishop Tikhon and his grace Nikodim consecrated the main altar of the Church in honor of the Holy Great Prince Vladimir.
23 and 30 July chapels were consecrated – the right one in honor of the icon of the Mother of God, the left one — in the name of the holy Andrey Kritskiy and the martyress Irina. By this time the stone two-storey house for the clergy was ready, the building for the almshouse and the stone building for the abbot were almost ready.
Icons for the iconostasis were painted by artist Malyshev in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. Two large icons: the Mother of God "Kazan" and the Mother of God "Accomplices of sinners" were brought from Athos.
Later on the lower floor for the money of Agrippina Litvintseva (sister of Vasily Andreyevich) the Church in the name of martyress Agrippina was built and consecrated on May 17, 1903. Icons for it were written in Kiev, copying the icons of the Kiev-Vladimir Cathedral.
The Central throne of the lower Church was consecrated in honor of Ioann the Baptist, and the left one — in honor of the icon of the Mother of God “Inexhaustible Chalice”. The dates of these events remain unknown.
Both churches, both upper and lower, were distinguished by good painting, were equipped with good-quality utensils; service on holidays was performed exemplary-two choirs sang, selected readers read, the staff of Seminary students served in the altar-all this made a very pleasant impression on the pilgrims, and the temple enjoyed their success despite the remoteness. The first abbot of the Church was the priest Nicholay Shastin.
On August 24, 1895 V. A. Litvintsev died and was buried in the tomb of the temple. In the spiritual will that was drawn up on the day of his death, Vasily Andreevich finished the good deed that he had begun, giving the necessary funds for the establishment of a school, monastery and almshouse, which were later built.
The male monastery was established by the Synod on May 22, 1903. During the war with Japan in 1905, the monastery housed the Red Cross hospital.
The monastery was closed in 1922 by decree of the Irkutsk Bishop from the Renovationists of Nikolay, the facility was rebuilt and adapted for other needs. During the Soviet period the building was destroyed. In 1928, the temple housed the NKVD cavalry regiment. In the 40s of the 20th century there was an orphanage housed in the buildings of the monastery, and later there was a laboratory of geological management.
On 28 July 1997, after 75 years of desolation, the Divine Liturgy was celebrated on the day of the memory of Holy Vladimir. In September 2002 in Irkutsk in the suburbs called "Rabocheye" there was the second birth of the temple when the last scaffolding was cleaned.
Over the past time, by the efforts and diligence of many people the temple regained its former splendor. The walls were repaired, heating passages were dug and a modern heating system was installed, a new floor was laid in the upper Church. The roof and windows were completely replaced, new domes were installed.
The project construction of a Regional grammar gymnasium for boys as a boarding school in the name of saint Innokentiy (Veniaminov).
The center for children's creative work "Resurrection" is being prepared to open on the territory of the temple with a modern design class, an icon-painting workshop, a library, a theater studio and a gym.
The Church has a chapel in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "Vsetsaritsa" in the Irkutsk regional oncological clinic.
In 2015, the Great Prince Vladimir Church celebrated its 120th anniversary, its restoration is of particular importance for the residents of Irkutsk.
Address: 52, Kashtakovskaya st., Irkutsk, 664019, Russia.